Maryborough War Memorial
The Maryborough War Memorial was originally erected to commemorate those who died in service or were killed in action in World War One.
In May 1920, a Memorial Committee was formed to collect subscriptions for the erection of a war memorial. The foundation stone was laid on 22 May 1921 by Lieutenant Colonel J. M. A. Durrant, however, fund raising efforts were slow and Maryborough citizens were reminded that suburbs and outlying districts had already erected memorials. It was almost 18 months later that the memorial was finally unveiled after much controversy which was caused when the Council originally rejected the site.
The attached plaques list 100 WWI names and 55 from WWII. There are 6 World War tribute plaques on the Cenotaph. There are 12 separate plaques on concrete pedestals surrounding the Cenotaph. Detail is shown in a separate memorial listing. The Memorial Gates are also listed separately.
A book “Maryborough Cenotaph”, by Allan Woodward has also been published.