The Bright War Memorial is located at the intersection of Camp, Ireland, Burke and Anderson Streets on land that was surveyed as early as 1862 as a town square. Later, this area was named Mafeking Square to commemorate the siege and subsequent ‘Relief of Mafeking’ during the Boer War.
The memorial clock tower was built after the Great War 1914 – 1918 and was unveiled on 29th December 1929.
A number of plaques have been attached to the clock tower itself and embedded into the concrete ground of Mafeking Square. These are:
- a plaque to commemorate those who served in the Boer War;
- a Roll of Honor of 78 men of Bright and District killed in the Great War;
- a commemorative plaque, detailing Principal Engagements and Casualties to Corps Troops
and each of the five AIF Divisions that fought in Europe, and to Operations in Palestine during the Great War;
- a Roll of Honour of 16 men of Bright and District killed in World War II; and
- a plaque to commemorate those who served in Korea, Vietnam and in Peace Keeping Forces.