The St Andrew's Church Honour Roll 1914-1918 is a marble plaque with engraved lettering set in the outside wall near the main entrance of the church. The main section of the plaque contains the names of those who served and at the top stand the names of those who died in the war.
The plaque is surrounded by a carved sandstone aedicule with a carved thistle, representing the church's predominantly Scottish Presbyterian Congregation (at the time) and the named Saint, St Andrew.
The Memorial contains the name of Captain Vernon Erle Smythe, one of four brothers who served in the Great War.
Remarkably, two of the brothers were both awarded two Military Crosses, the third brother was also awarded a Military Cross, and the fourth brother was killed in action.
Vern Erle Smyth joined as a Private in 1914 and was commissioned as an officer shortly after landing at Gallipolli on 25 April 1915. He was awarded a Military Cross at Fromelles and a second Military Cross at Polygon Wood, and was mentioned in despatches.
Captain Edward Vivian Smythe joined in 1915 as a Private and was promoted as 2nd Lieutenent on completion of officer training. He won his first MIlitary Cross at Warlencourt and the second at Broodeseinde Ridge, and was mentioned in despatches.
Lieutenant Percy Ellesmere Smythe joined as a Private in 1915. He was promoted in 1918 and awarded a Military Cross at Mt St Quentin.
Corporal Herbert Andrew Smythe (incorrectly noted on the plaque as H.E. SMYTHE) was killed at Bullecourt in May 1917.
HONOUR ROLL 1914-1918