The Places of Pride website, placesofpride.awm.gov.au, is developed and managed by the Australian War Memorial.
Your use of the content on this website
Unless we indicate otherwise, everything on this website is provided under a Creative Commons Attribution – Non Commercial 3.0 Australia licence (CC BY-NC 3.0 AU), with the exception of:
- the Commonwealth Coat of Arms
- the Places of Pride logo
- the Australian War Memorial logo
- any material protected by a trade mark
- content supplied by third parties.
The details of the relevant licence conditions are available on the Creative Commons website, as is the full legal code for the CC BY-NC 3.0 Australia license at https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/au/legalcode. For further information please see the Australian War Memorial’s Copyright Policy.
Other uses of the contents of this website, other than those permitted by an exception in the Copyright Act 1968, require express written permission from the copyright owner and author of the material.
You may provide a link to any of the pages on this site. We recommend that you use the abbreviated form of the URL for linking: http://placesofpride.awm.gov.au/ plus the text after the final forward slash. Please do not provide a direct link to documents on our site; instead, link to a page from which the document can be downloaded. Links to the Places of Pride website must not be used for commercial gain.
The Commonwealth will not be responsible for any errors or omissions in the content or material appearing on this website and its contents. Please see our Disclaimer Notice.
If you believe there has been an error or omission in any of the material, please contact the Australian War Memorial at email@example.com.
Contributions from registered account holders
In addition to the above terms, the following conditions apply to any contributions (including submitted photos, videos, stories or comments) that registered account holders make to the Places of Pride website.
Registered account holder conditions
By becoming a Places of Pride registered account holder you represent and warrant the following:
- The information that you have provided in connection with your Places of Pride registered account set up is true and correct.
- Your username and profile picture are not offensive or illegal.
- You understand that the information you provide through your account set up is stored by the Australian War Memorial database which may be hosted by a contracted service provider to the Australian War Memorial.
- You understand that the information you provide through your account is held in secure database.
- You consent to your email address and any other contact details being used for the following purposes:
- to contact you in relation updates to the Places of Pride website
- to contact you in relation to your submission to the Places of Pride website
- to contact you for the purpose of research on your experience as a user of the Places of Pride website.
- to contact you in relation to any other matter that the Australian War Memorial considers appropriate in its sole discretion.
- You will keep your account details, including username and password, secure at all times including by ‘logging out’ of the user pages when access is no longer required in a session.
Grant of licence by registered account holders
In particular, by making contributions to this website, you grant the Australian War Memorial at no cost, a perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free and licence-fee free, worldwide, non-exclusive licence (including a right of sub-licence) to use, reproduce, copy, modify, edit adapt, publish, communicate to the public and exploit, whether online or otherwise, any material that you contribute to the website, in any format or compilation, with or without attribution of authorship, for any purpose, and on any terms deemed applicable by the Australian War Memorial’s in its sole discretion.
Where you contribute material in which you do not own the copyright, you warrant and represent that you have permission from the copyright owner of the material for the Australian War Memorial to use, reproduce, copy, modify, adapt, publish, communicate to the public, exploit and sub-license that material in any manner that the Australian War Memorial considers appropriate in accordance with the above licence.
You represent and warrant that you have obtained any relevant privacy consents from persons whose ‘personal information’ under the Privacy Act 1988 appears in any contribution that you make to this website.
Copies of your contribution
You should save a back-up copy of your contribution before you submit it to the website. Once it is submitted you may not be able to edit, copy, save or retrieve it in any way. While we will endeavour to provide you with a copy of your contribution to our website where reasonably possible, it may not always be reasonably possible for us to do so, and the Australian War Memorial does not take any responsibility for its loss due to server outage, technical difficulties or otherwise.
Contributions to the website may be reviewed by the Australian War Memorial moderator according to the Moderation Policy and any factors that the Australian War Memorial may consider relevant from time to time, to determine their suitability for publication or storage on the website. Our Moderation Policy and Submissions Guidelines provides further information on the publication of contributions on the website.
All material submitted to or stored on the website may be published or stored at the Australian War Memorial’s sole discretion and may be edited or deleted without notice. The Australian War Memorial’s decisions will be final and no discussions will be entered into. The Australian War Memorial also reserves the right to publish all contributions online and without review, immediately after they are submitted.
The Australian War Memorial may notify the police or any regulatory or investigative authority at any time and without notice about any material submitted to or stored on the website.
The Australian War Memorial will in its absolute discretion consider requests for removal of content on the website, however the Australian War Memorial does not guarantee that such requests will be accepted.
Contribution to the Places of Pride website do not form part of the Australia War Memorial’s National Collection. You can learn more about our National Collection here: donating items to the memorial.
Other registered account holder warranties
As a registered account holder, you acknowledge and agree that you are legally responsible for all contributions you make to the website and must ensure that:
- your contribution does not depict extreme violence, is not pornographic, defamatory, racist, obscene, offensive or discriminatory and does not in the Australian War Memorial’s opinion intimidate, harass or defame another person or organisation
- to the best of your knowledge your contribution is truthful and accurate
- any contribution made by a child has been supervised by an adult and, where appropriate, you have obtained the consent of a parent or guardian of a child whose information has been included in your contribution
- where your contribution uses images or material from another source, that you do not alter or distort those images or material
- material you submit does not contain links or files that contain viruses or could harm the Australian War Memorial’s software or technology
- your contribution does not promote, distribute or endorse commercial products or activities or solicit business
- your contribution is not in the opinion of the Australian War Memorial inappropriate, irrelevant, vexatious, causing a nuisance, or deliberately misleading or false as to its origin, authorship or otherwise