We respect your right to privacy.
We comply with the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) in the Privacy Act 1988 (the Privacy Act). The Privacy Act regulates how:
- we collect, use, disclose and store personal information including sensitive information
- you can access and correct records containing your personal information
This page is a summary of how the Australian War Memorial handles personal information.
Collecting personal information
We collect personal information that is necessary for, or related to, our functions and activities. We only use and disclose personal information for the purpose it was collected, or for other uses authorised by law.
We may collect your personal information when you:
- access and use our website and web based channels
- talk to our representatives via telephone or in person
- complete an application.
Occasionally, we may also collect personal information from third parties or a private source. However, we will only do this if:
- you consent
- we are required or authorised under an Australian law or a court/tribunal order, or
- it is reasonable or practicable for us to collect information in this way instead of collecting it directly from you
We may receive unsolicited personal information about you from a third party. We determine whether we could have collected it or not if we had dealt with you directly. If we couldn't have, we will destroy or de-identify it. If we could have, we only use it for the purposes it could have been collected.
You can choose not to provide us with information. However, should you choose not to identify yourself we may not be able to adequately provide you a service.
How we manage your personal information
We generally only use and disclose personal information for the purposes for which it was provided. However, there are exceptions to this such as:
- for a directly related purpose
- we are required or authorised under an Australian law to do so
- where we have your consent to do so
We may disclose your personal information to third parties—including overseas suppliers and service providers—for purposes related to our functions or activities. We take reasonable steps to ensure that overseas recipients do not breach privacy obligations under the Privacy Act. However, overseas recipients may be required to comply with local legislation instead.
How we protect your personal information
- maintain all personal information in a secure environment
- will not release any personal information except in accordance with the Privacy Act
- take all reasonable steps to protect personal information from misuse, interference, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure
- may hold personal information in electronic or hard copy form
- destroy or de-identify personal information when it is no longer required
- take reasonable steps to ensure personal information stored by us is kept accurate, up to date, complete and relevant
How you can access and change your personal information
Contact us to request access, or make a correction, to your personal information. Most of the time, we will provide you access to, or correct, your records. We will not charge you for this service. Where we can’t grant you access, or make the requested change, we will provide written reasons.
Links to other websites
We use Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google Inc. ("Google"), to help improve the efficiency and usability of this website.
Google uses this information to evaluate your use of our website, compile reports on website activity and provide other website and internet usage services. Google may transfer this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where they process information on Google's behalf.