Princes Park Memorial Gates Park Road & Nightingale Street Maryborough Victoria


Author: Western Front Association Central Victoria Branch

Posted on

Princes Park Entrance Gates

The cast iron fence and entrance gates, were opened in 1885, and are considered to be a fine example of late 19th century iron work.
The fence and gates were manufactured by F. McKays, Ballarat Foundry.

The entrance was modified in 1928, when the Harcourt granite memorial pillars bearing the names of the 493 local district WW1 soldiers and 5 nurses, replaced two of the original cast iron posts.

These posts were then relocated to the northern entry of the park.

City of Maryborough

This memorial erected by Red Cross in 1926 was restored in 1991 with loan assistance from Central Goldfields Restoration Fund.
The memorial was rededicated at a ceremony on 23 September 1991.

B. C. Ruxton O.B.E.     CR. M. J. Harrison, Mayor

Last updated: