Arch of Triumph - White Hills Botanic Gardens
The Arch of Triumph at the White Hills Botanic Gardens in Bendigo incorporates an Honour Roll of 64 servicemen who served in the First World War. The names are inscribed on bronze plaques on either side of the central wrought iron gates that lead into the Gardens.
The Arch is a Mannerist design with rusticated voussoirs and decorated with wreaths. It is constructed of brick and rendered with concrete.
A small group of White Hills citizens formed the White Hills Memorial Committee in the early 1920’s to commemorate those who served in the First World War.
Funds were raised by local residents through the novel method of purchasing token bricks. The location of the Arch at the entrance to the White Hills Botanic Gardens, and inscriptions in the pathway, reflect the undoubted fondness the Gardens have long held by the locals, as well as the entrance’s high visibility on Napier Street.
Inscriptions in the pathway immediately in front of the Arch are:
To the brave soldiers of White Hills
To those fallen and returned
Transition into the quiet of the gardens
From strife and turmoil into peace
The Arch is a rare example of this type of memorial in Victoria. Only three other memorial arches, all commemorating the First World War, and all of differing design, were constructed in Victoria. These are at Ballarat (1920), Murtoa (1921) and Mansfield (c1923).
The Arch was unveiled on 23 May 1925 by Mr J Sternberg, Member of the Legislative Council.