Erected by a private citizen
The 21 metre high Memorial Cross was erected by a private citizen, Mr William Cameron, in the 1930`s to commemorate those who died in World War One and to provide work for the unemployed in the depression.
It is considered Victoria`s most significant war memorial after the Shrine.
The elements of nature took their toll on the original cross, which deteriorated to the extent that it became unsafe. It was demolished and replaced by a matching cross in pre-cast concrete in 1995. This plaque is placed to perpetuate the expression of gratitude of the Victorian people to Mr William Cameron.